Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The 4-minute Body

I think the book is actually called "The 4-hour Body" but whatever. The point is that this book has taken over our lives. Originally discovered by both my husband and our friend, Steve, this book was the topic of discussion over Christmas break. I should have known it was only a matter of time before it integrated itself into our lives. And so it begins.....

The premise of the book is simple: a guy uses himself as a human guinea pig to conduct nutrition and health experiments and find the fastest, most effective ways to burn fat. Apparently, this involves eating nothing but protein, legumes, and vegetables and taking weird vitamin supplements that make you smell like garlic. Oh yeah, and ice cold showers. Some things make sense to me--the diet, obviously. Others though.....well, let's just say I'm not that die-hard. I refuse to give up my hot steamy showers in the winter. And I'm not taking strange vitamins that I've never heard of that keep me awake all night.
So, Bobby hasn't eaten bread since Saturday. Like, not one single morsel of anything that might be considered a grain. No dairy either. I might be on board eating the protein/bean/veggie combo but this girl is NOT giving up cheese. And I like bread, a lot. I'm more than happy to give up the white stuff--I know refined sugars aren't good for you. But yummy whole wheat bread and brown rice....yeah, not happening. So, I guess I'm about half-way committed. For breakfast I had a spinach and scrambled egg mixture. I didn't have the legumes so I don't know if I'm burning fat right now or not. I guess I'll let you know at a later time.
There is one part that I'm super excited about and that is.....the binge day. You're supposed to take one day a week and eat whatever you want. Massive quantities, trans-fats, gooey cheese, and deep-fried goodness. Bobby has spent all week talking about his 'binge day'. It will be a sight to behold, I'm sure of it. If you don't know my husband, you may not be aware of his consuming prowess. For a small guy, he can pack away some calories. Now, give him a green light to do just that.....like I said, a sight to behold. I hope he keeps track of it. I'll give an update after Saturday.

Aside from 4-minute bodying, we have become regulars at the Children's Museum. We got a membership for Christmas (thanks mom and dad!) and we have put it to good use. I think Bobby has taken them 3 times by himself. That's all in the past 2.5 weeks. And we went once all together. Trey and Emerson are in love with the dinosaur exhibit. That's all they talk about when they get home. The digging for bones, hiding in caves, sculpting with silly putty....they love it all. Emmy and I got to design clothes for the Barbie dress forms when we all went together. She had fun, but it was nothing compared to the dinosaurs. I'm glad she's a very well-rounded girl!



Digging for bones
Sculpting dino heads with bronze silly putty
"We love the nuseum!" (No, that's not a typo...it's how they both say it)

No comments: