Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas preparations

I'm going to try to make most of the posts this winter very positive and focus on the awesome stuff going on in my life. You see, this is the time of year I despise. Cold weather is my achilles heel. Seriously, I cannot image anything worse than temperatures in the 'teens and 20s and cold blowing wind. But, I'm going to try really hard this winter to embrace it....well, at least to tolerate it with a good attitude.
Point number 1 of positivity (is that a word?) is putting up the Christmas tree. Bobby stayed home on Wednesday last week so we could get out the decorations and put up the tree. We're one of those lame-o families who put up a fake, pre-lit one. We talked about doing the tree farm this year--you know, trek through the snow, cut down your own, and haul it home--but decided against the hassle and extra expense (not only the tree but the stand, having to water it, etc). So, up went our old stand-by. But I have to say, it looks just as good and it's so nice to have the lights on and ready to go. We did discover one section of lights is burned out but we decided to leave it alone. You can barely tell with all the ornaments. Maybe next year we'll get a real one....
Putting on the ornaments is one of my favorite things each year. My Grandma Mehringer used to buy all of us an ornament every year based on what we were into that year. For example, I have ballet slippers, a cheerleader, a telephone, etc. When Bobby and I started dating, she bought him ornaments too. We have an "Our first home" ornament, a pregnant couple, and a new family one. I've always thought it was a really cool thing that she did, but it's even more poignant now that she's gone. She passed away in June 2007 right before Trey's 1st birthday. Every year I get out those old ornaments and every year I'm in tears hanging them on the tree. She was an amazing woman and I love the tangible reminders of how involved she was in our lives. She always made sure to pick out the perfect ornament to represent each one of the grandkids. It was a Thanksgiving tradition when she would hand them out and we couldn't wait to see what she picked. It's a tradition that my mom has carried on for my kids. I hope one day they have as much fun decorating their own Christmas trees and walking down memory lane.

The angel got a little fancied up this year, compliments of Trey and Emerson
Bobby and the kids--love these faces!
Such a sweet picture!



















No comments: